Monday, April 5, 2010

Throw Away Inner Negativities

"My imagination is my main Buddha image."
Je Kun-pang-pa

A third entry on cleaning the space for meditation! Interesting that His Holiness had so much to say upon the subject! While he stressed that the altar be simple and uncomplicated, he seemed to emphasize that the symbolism behind the actions of preparation were of the major import.

Once the dirt has been swept up (being mindful of the First Noble Truth and karma), when that dirt is discarded, you can think about the idea that the dirt symbolizes your inner negativity, and that you are casting this negativity away, far from you, never to enter your consciousness again. This discarding is an allusion to the inherent union of the truth of cessation (ending suffering),and the truth of the path. All at once, His Holiness has brought together all Four Noble Truths: life contains suffering, suffering has a cause, suffering can be brought to end, there is a designated path to end suffering.

In western culture we seem to struggle with just slowing down, and reflecting on the world and ourselves. When I first began to clean my meditation space, I didn't pause to really think about what I was doing. I guess, we spend a lot of time in our lives not thinking about what we are doing! The First Preliminary helps me slow down, begin to think and feel calm. I hope the practice will bring you peace also.

Abide in peace and joy, Cynthia

Next: The Second Preliminary: Arranging on the Altar Faultless Offerings

No comments:

Post a Comment