Monday, March 29, 2010

How Could Chaos Be Good News, Anyway!

"CHAOS IS GOOD NEWS."
Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

Just one of the many wonderful things about Buddhism, is that there is always more to explore. And, the more I explore, the less I seem to know. So, I suppose that means there is a lot out there still to discover!

Something I've recently discovered is that when life turns upside down, when chaos comes, there is much to learn, if we summon the courage to look. And, where I have begun to look, is inside. I'll be honest, though. I was not entirely thrilled to welcome chaos into my life, as it means that whatever illusions of stability I've managed to manufacture are challenged and, if I am lucky (a term I will apply only after I think I've come out on the other side!), dissolved. It is what the great Lamas and Rinpoches and Teachers tell us we must do, and they supply us with very good reasons for doing it; still, at least for me, that doesn't mean I don't approach, at times, kicking and screaming! I've created my illusions with the very human hope of buffering the suffering we all encounter in this journey; and so, when someone comes along, no matter how kind, calm and spiritually powerful, I tend to get territorial and possessive about my illusions. "Yes! Tell me a path, but don't expect me to change anything!" At first, I might think my resistance is because of the message: it's too hard to follow the dharma; it's too hard to even understand! Maybe I'd get it if it was just in plain English. Next, I might think it's the messenger. Sure, Buddha became enlightened. I can accept that. But, he was special, wasn't he? This becoming enlightened business isn't easy.

Easy. Another illusion. I'm attached to wanting it to be easy. In chaos, you learn it is not.

But, it seems, at least to me, here lies the paradox in all of this: the very heart of my illusion cries out the notion that it is not easy. I, quite simply, am the barrier. I hold myself back. I make it hard.

Buddhism says to relax. To relax in chaos and observe. Look inside. Deep inside. Further inside than you've ever done before. That's why chaos is good news. By looking inside, we can begin to identify our delusions, illusions and false solutions, and see that all is false. The good stuff is waiting to be found underneath.

I going to try and keep on looking. Some days I kick and scream, some days I cry, and some days. . .I relax.

I've been reading a biography of His Holiness the 13the Dalai Lama, and starting with tomorrow's blog entry, I'll share his reflections on the six preliminaries for meditation practice. I love knowing what is behind the symbolism and His Holiness makes it all so very clear, just like it was in English! My many thanks to such a kind Teacher.

Cynthia
(I think my vegetarian recipe for this week will be French Silk Pie. We'll start with dessert!)

No comments:

Post a Comment